Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Mystery Quilt for Charity

One of the quilting groups I belong to Murray Mallee Quilters has decided to run a Mystery Quilt Challenge. The concept is to make a charity quilt for a teenage boy. 

I've decided to help out. I like the idea of giving quilts to charity. Its something I can make and I feel good about handing something on to a person who may not have someone in their lives who can make them something. Also the meaning of a quilt to me is comfort, warmth, belonging and love. It's a symbolic gesture of those meanings.

So for the next few months, we will be receiving instructions from Faye (who also has a quilting machine and has agreed to quilt one quilt per person as part of joining the mystery) to make our charity quilts. So you will be able to join me in my mystery as I make a quilt for a young man.

First month's instructions are in. I have to cut 7" squares and border then twice with 2" strips. There are 12 blocks to make. The next installment is the 3rd Saturday of the month.

Here are my fabric choices. It can be as scrappy as I want it to be.

I've decided to go with blue and green combinations. I have had to think about what a teenage boy would like. What teenager wouldn't like blues and greens.

Now to get cutting and sewing.

3 comments:

  1. Great choice!
    I'm sure it is going to turn out fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting. I think your color choices will make a great "guy" quilt. I'm interested to see the design unfold.
    Good of you to do this, Kylie.

    ReplyDelete

I love to see what people write. Please leave me a comment.