Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Rainbow Charms - Quilt top finished.

I have decided to call my colored hexagon quilt "Rainbow Charms" as the colored hexagons were made with 2 Kona Solid Charm Packs. The background used is another Kona Solid - Coal. 

I think that I have been deceiving people with the size of the hexagons. They are 2" finished and are quite big for hexagons. When we talk about the size of hexagons we refer to the sides of each hexagon as the finished size. To make it easier to understand, each hexagon paper has been covered with a charm square (5") though the Kona coal squares were cut to 4.5" to baste the papers.

I started this quilt in August 2011. I played around with my EQ7 to draw up the design. I wanted a basic pattern that showed off the colored hexagons and the variations of colors in the charm packs.

I was watching how fellow bloggers were getting into the solid palette from Kona and all the amazing mini quilts and other quilts appearing in the Modern Quilt Guilds. I was never encouraged to work in solid fabric and wanted to have a go to see what all the hype was about. 

I actually like the lovely range of Kona solids that are out there. I purchased the color card so that I can drool over the beautiful fabric color choices and of course that names that are attached to them. I have even purchase some Kona Crocus for the backing and binding. I also have left over charm squares which I plan to use on the backing.


Since working with Kona, I have purchased different solid fabrics from the card to go with fabric I have bought.


I have also love the feedback I have received about this quilt in progress. For all those lovely comments out there, Thanks. They mean so much. So hang around and watch the progress of the hand quilting. This will be my first hand quilted quilt and I'm looking forward to getting stuck into it. 


I envisage that I would like to put in my home town's inaugural show in October. I have never put a quilt in before and would like to give it a go. But who knows how long it will take to complete the hand quilting. Here is a sneak peak at the threads I will be using to quilt with. 

10 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting it to flimsy stage, Kylie! It is lovely. And those yummy thread colors will just look great with the Kona solids. I wish you well getting it quilted to get in the show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love this quilt top - congrats on getting it finished. I looked forward to seeing your progress with hand-quilting it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's lovely, Kylie.
    Great cotton choices. Lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you chose the rainbow arrangement rather than the single lines. It looks really great!
    (Just the curious me - what size did you use for the hexies?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been a lot of fun watching you put this together. Looking forward to seeing the quilting. Great colour choice on the back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. your quilt top is gorgeous. what an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, you must be so proud! And your quilting threads are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the threads. They looks so yummy lined up like that. For an experiment, this turned out awesomely terrific! For not an experiment, too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm jealous! I love this soooo much! But you've also given me a great idea, in that, larger hexies would make it a faster project. Happy quilting...and dreaming of the next one!

    ReplyDelete

I love to see what people write. Please leave me a comment.